Have you been suffering with chronic musculoskeletal pain in your feet?
Is this pain stopping you from doing the things you love, like going for a run or playing with your grandkids?
Here at Foot Body Sole, we have a solution for you and your chronic pain!
WHAT IS SHOCKWAVE THERAPY?
Shockwave therapy involves the transmission of shockwaves into an affected structure to regenerate and repair the tissues. It involves using a hand piece that generates kinetic energy and subsequent acoustic pulses into the tissues to assist with healing.
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN BE TREATED USING SHOCKWAVE?
We use shockwave therapy for a variety of different lower limb conditions. The conditions we treat most commonly include:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Ankle sprains
- Medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints)
POSITIVE EFFECTS OF SHOCKWAVE THERAPY:
- Increase blood flow to the affected area - Blood flow is a crucial component in the healing as it allows for the transport of nutrients to the area to assist with decreasing inflammation and enabling regeneration.
- Treatment of trigger points - trigger points area sensitive areas within a muscle, commonly referred to 'knots'.
- Re-boot the healing process - by essentially creating a new injury, shockwave acts to help promote healing rather than the tissue remaining stagnant in the healing process.
- Decrease pain - shockwave therapy can have an immediate analgesic effect, meaning that pain in decreased. Shockwave helps to scatter the neurotransmitter called substance P which is responsible for pain.
- Accelerate collagen synthesis - Collagen is a protein that provides strength and structure in you skin, bone and soft tissue. It is integral in the healing process to help repair the injured structures.
WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE?
Shockwave therapy can be uncomfortable depending on how severe the injury is. In order to maximise results, patients should experience a pain level of approximately 7/10 to help promote healing. The treatment only lasts for up to approximately 5 minutes and is generally tolerated quite well. Following treatment, patients experience immediate pain relief, however it is important to note that the pain is expected to return within the next 24 hours. This is due to the healing process being activated.
WHAT IS A TYPICAL TREATMENT REGIME USING SHOCKWAVE?
This depends on the amount of pain you are experiencing and how long you have had the injury for. Most conditions will heal in 6-8 sessions spaced a week apart, however some patients may require less or more sessions. At each session, your progress and pain are noted and this helps to guide the treatment regime. Following a shockwave therapy session, we recommend that you refrain from physical activity for 12-48 hours depending on the severity of your injury and pain. We do not use shockwave therapy in isolation and use a combination of therapies to reduce your pain including ultrasound therapy, laser, interferential therapy and rehabilitation exercises.
If you have been suffering from chronic pain, visit us here at Foot Body Sole and we can help you become pain free!
Click below to book online or call 1800 778 316!